Your Perfect Partner for Your Next Vacation!
Gulf Key Properties
1. Charlotte Sports Park
Charlotte Sports Park is an 80-acre multi-use recreational park with amenities such as ball fields, outdoor/open space and batting cages. Charlotte Sports Park is the Home of the Charlotte County Redfish Independent Professional Baseball team and the entranceway to Tippecanoe Environmental Park.
2. Charlotte County Fairgrounds
The Charlotte County Fairgrounds is a recreational resource that hosts events such as car shows, rodeos and other public events, as well as Country Fest and the annual Charlotte County Fair.
3. Tippecanoe Environmental Park
Tippecanoe Environmental Park, a Blueway Trail, contains 354 acres of various natural areas and habitats such as oak scrub, pine flatwoods and salt marshes. This natural, recreational and scenic resource has walking trails and boardwalks to observe the bird life.
4. Sam Knight Creek
Sam Knight Creek is a natural and scenic resource within the Myakka River watershed that makes up the home of Tippecanoe Environmental Park. It is a popular waterbody for kayaking and fishing.
5. El Jobean Park
El Jobean Park, a recreational resource, is a small neighborhood park containing a playground, picnic facilities, and boat ramp.
6. Historic District of El Jobean (Old Post Office & General Store)
The land around El Jobean was purchased by Joel Bean, a Boston (Bean Town) lawyer. In 1924, Mr. Bean filed a plat for a city to be divided into six wards, each with its own civic center bordering a central plaza. Mr. Bean called the city El Jobean, an anagram of his name. Mr. Bean also began the El Jobean Farms agricultural community. The project ended with the stock market crash of 1929. The El Jobean Post Office and General Store, constructed in 1922, is a frame vernacular building comprised of two main sections that retains most of its architectural integrity. This was the first post office in the area and the building has also served as the train station, general store, jail, meeting house, and café. The historic property is a partially completed historic restoration project. The post office has now been completely restored and operates as a museum and café. The Charlotte County Board of Commissioners designated the El Jobean Post Office and General Store as a Local Historic Landmark in May 1998 when the county designated El Jobean as a historic overlay district to encourage protection of historic resources. The county has designated El Jobean as a local historic district. The structure was officially listed on the NRHP on August 27,
7. El Jobean Boat Ramp
The El Jobean boat ramp is a Blueway Facility that affords access to the Myakka River and Charlotte Harbor for boats, canoes and kayaks.
8. Adams House
.The Adams House is a locally-designated historic landmark in El Jobean.
9. El Jobean Grand Hotel and Fishing Lodge
The currently abandoned El Jobean Grand Hotel and Fishing Lodge are located in El Jobean. The hotel was proposed as a Local Historic Landmark in 1988 and listed on the NRHP in 1999. This property has hosted various groups and events throughout the years, including the early entertainment pioneers of Florida and circus, carnival and “show men.” Notable entertainment events include the filming of the Tarzan serials and feature films starring Ann Sothern and Adolphe Menjou; the stunts of Leo Simon, a.k.a. “Suicide Simon,” a daredevil; and the winter quarters for many other carnival acts including the Flying Wallendas, a net-less high wire circus act. The historic property is a partially completed historic restoration project. The first phase of the plan is complete. The second phase of the plan – not yet begun – is rehabilitation of the Grand Hotel and Fishing Lodge.
10. El Jobean Fishing Pier
El Jobean Fishing Pier is a recreational and scenic resource that contains a 1,000-foot long
fishing pier on the Myakka River.
11. Myakka River
The beautiful and picturesque Myakka River is a recreational, scenic and natural resource which was designated a Florida Wild and Scenic River by the state legislature in 1985. Outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy boating, freshwater fishing, canoeing, and kayaking use this Blueway Trail extensively.
12. Tringali Recreation Complex
The Tringali Recreation Complex is located in East Englewood. This Charlotte County-owned recreational resource boasts a library, meeting rooms and youth center, as well as recreational areas including basketball and tennis courts and a rollerblade/hockey rink. In addition, annual Art Shows and flea markets are popular with thousands.
13. Myakka State Forest
The Myakka State Forest is a recreational, scenic and natural resource located in southern Sarasota County. The Lemon Bay/Myakka Trail provides access to the forest. The park and its meandering streams remain mostly in their natural state offering hiking, off-road bicycling, horseback riding, bird watching, and nature viewing. Myakka State Forest contains two hiking trails that are included in the Florida Division of Forestry's Trailwalker Program.
14. Gottfried Creek
Gottfried Creek is a recreational, scenic and natural resource that empties into Lemon Bay. The creek offers excellent fishing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, bird watching, and viewing
15. Anger Fishing Pier
Anger Fishing Pier was formed from the original bridge across Lemon Bay and is said to be the best fishing around without a boat. Located on Beach Road just under the Tom Adams Bridge.Open 24 days a day and is free of charge.
16. Englewood Sports Complex
The Englewood Sports Complex is an outstanding recreational resource with soccer and baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts and workout and meeting rooms.
17. Forked Creek
Forked Creek is a recreational and natural resource that provides access to Lemon Bay and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is popular with boaters, fishermen and nature lovers.
18. Manasota Key Beaches
Besides Stump Pass Beach and Blind Pass Beach, Manasota Key contains two other beaches: Englewood Beach on the Charlotte County portion and Manasota Beach in Sarasota County. Relatively small in size, Manasota Key contains a large percentage of the Counties’ beachfront property and offers incredible scenic Gulf views from north to south. In addition to the beaches, some of the island’s attractions include an improved beach complex with parking, playgrounds, picnic shelters, basketball and volleyball courts, picnic areas, covered shelters, and a public boat launch. Visitors to the Key can also experience the sea turtle nesting season; unique residential areas; small, low-key hotels; various bars/restaurants; and opportunities for recreational boating including docks and boat rentals. Seagulls, blue heron, skimmers, and both grey and white pelicans are just a few of the shore birds seen in the area.
19. Manasota Scrub Preserve
The 145-acre Manasota Scrub Preserve, one of Sarasota County’s first purchases in its environmentally sensitive lands program, was important in preservation of the Florida scrub jay. In addition to the Florida scrub jay, other wildlife such as gopher tortoises, eastern indigo snakes, and a variety of wading birds inhabit the site that also features pine flatwoods, a depression marsh and a large maple swamp. Additionally, the rare Florida mouse may also be present. Amenities include nature trails, boardwalks, interpretative kiosks, benches, and a shell parking lot.
20. Woodmere Lumber Mill
Historic remains of the former Woodmere Lumber Mill exist on private property at the northern end of the Trail. This business was founded by Herman Kluge in 1918 and was extremely important to the development in the area as it provided most of the lumber used for construction. The town covered several acres. The mill town was destroyed by fire in 1930.
21. Venice Rookery
The Venice Rookery is recognized by the National Audubon Society as a primary viewing site for bird photographers. Bird lovers and photographers alike flock to the site to view the avian wonders. According to a survey conducted by the Venice Area Audubon Society in March 2006, 78 individual birds and 57 nests were counted. Species observed include great blue herons, anhingas, great egrets, and blackcrowned night herons. This resource provides scenic views and environmental education to its visitors.
22. Placida Bunk House
Originally built near Coral Creek and the railroad, the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad built the Placida Bunk House in 1907 to house railroad laborers. The Florida Frame Vernacular house was also used as a school, post office, church - the first prayer meetings for the Church of God were held between 1938 and 1939 – and once again as a residence. Due to its historical significance, being one of the last remaining railroad structures in Charlotte County, the Placida Bunk House is recorded in Florida Master Site File and in the 1989 Charlotte County Historical Properties Survey. Charlotte County sought to save this important local piece of history from road construction and moved it to its current site off of Gasparilla Road in McCall in 2005. The Placida Bunk House is now located within the Charlotte County’s park and trail system, at the north trailhead of the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail. The new site keeps true to the building’s railroad heritage since the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail occupies the corridor of an abandoned railroad. The County is renovating and repairing the structure which was damaged during the 2004 hurricane season and upon completion, the Placida Bunk House will breathe new life as a trailhead stop, having a Visitor’s Center showcasing local historic artifacts.
23. Cape Haze Pioneer Trail
The ribbon was cut for the Cape Haze Pioneer Trail on November 20, 1999. The 5.5-mile long Cape Haze Pioneer Trail parallels Gasparilla Road along a segment of the abandoned Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad easement trail and is the first part of a planned “super system” of trails. The trail traces the remnants of a railroad constructed circa 1906 that gave birth to the historical town of McCall and other communities along the route.
24. Community of Rotonda
Achieving the "A Sustaining Florida Community" title in 2000 from the Governor, the community of Rotonda is a large residential community of 6,500 homes on about 20,000
acres at the southern end of the Cape Haze peninsula. Rotonda was born in 1969 when Joe Klein, president of Cavanagh Leasing Corporation, closed on his $19 million acquisition of the former Vanderbilt cattle ranch and began to sell lots and build homes for a master planned community. At one time, Rotonda's reputation in real estate circles was infamous as one of the worst community developments in the country because of shoddy workmanship and poor developers who didn’t make good on their promises. Through all the turmoil and litigation, the residents remained upbeat. They built churches, formed social, civic and service clubs, and got on with their lives. The community has come a long way from those early years of strife, to become an award winning, appealing community. The community’s history and unique settlement pattern with eight subdivisions that form a circle around a drinking water reservoir makes it an important historic resource to the Lemon Bay/Myakka Trail. Community amenities include shops, restaurants and golf in six subdivisions with more on the way. Rotonda Park features a walking trail, multi-purpose sports field, nature preserve, a playground, restrooms, and tennis courts. Rotonda was the home of the Super Star sports challenge TV series of the 80’s
25. Community of South Gulf Cove
South Gulf Cove (SGC) is located on the eastern side of the Cape Haze Peninsula. There are more than 50 miles of navigable waterways, canals and a mile-wide lagoon that runs north and south for approximately 4 miles. The waterways are accessible from two public boat ramps and through a lock system that provides access to the unspoiled Myakka River, a tributary feeding Charlotte Harbor. SGC is a notable historic resource for the Lemon Bay/Myakka Trail because it is the first community in Charlotte County to develop a Community Plan. The Community Plan became the action instrument to assist in achieving the community’s vision.
26. Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park
The Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park is a recreational, scenic and natural resource that encompasses 42,518 acres. Originally called the Charlotte Harbor State Reserve, the name was changed to Charlotte Harbor State Buffer Preserve and in 2004, upon incorporation into the Florida’s state park system, was renamed to Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park. Accessible from the Lemon Bay/Myakka Trail and the Cape Haze Loop at public access points in El Jobean, McCall and Placida, the park helps protect water quality, sea grasses and other habitats that are important to fish and wildlife in the Charlotte Harbor, Gasparilla Sound, Cape Haze, and Lemon Bay areas. The park provides residents and visitors with opportunities for boating, fishing, hiking, picnicking, canoeing, and kayaking. Birding is one of the park’s most popular activities and fishing in Charlotte Harbor is legendary. The Catfish Creek Trailhead within the park provides a picnic pavilion and access to pine flatwoods and freshwater and saltwater marshes.
27. South Gulf Cove Park
South Gulf Cove Park, a Blueway Facility located east of Gasparilla Road, is a recreational, scenic site that provides a boat ramp for boats, kayaks and canoes.
28. Coral Creek and Fishing Pier
As a Blueway Trail, Coral Creek with its fishing piers are used extensively for fishing, canoeing and kayaking. Coral Creek provides an opportunity for the fishing community to utilize three piers - Coral Creek, Placida and Boca Grande, which were part of the old Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad. Coral Creek was part of the Vanderbilt’s 35,000- acre hunting and cattle raising project. These owners constructed a dam in the west Coral Creek Branch to prevent salt water from invading the fresh water. In 2000, about 12,500 acres of land were sold to the state’s Conservation and Recreation Lands Trust. Many Indian Burial grounds were discovered at the junction of the west and east branches of Coral Creek and on lands just south of the Coral Creek Golf Course.
29. “The Fishery”
In 1944-1945, Walter Gault moved his “Fishery” from Gasparilla Island to the small enclave at the juncture of Gasparilla and Placida Roads. He also built houses for himself and fish house workers, and a grocery store. Mr.Gault operated “The Fishery” until his death in 1979. The site, with docks, bait and other shops, a seafood restaurant, and now a museum and Margaret Albritton Gallery, is a testament to generations who have depended on the sea for their livelihoods, and plays host to the annual seafood festival. The Museum is a fascinating display of coin banks, rocks, shells, and photos of the Walter and Louise Gault collection. The Margaret Albritton Gallery has fine arts, crafts and gifts.
30. Placida Public Boat Ramp/Placida Park
Placida, appropriately named for its placid waters, has for all of its recorded history served as a link between land and sea. Before 1900, American pioneers settled here continuing the fishing tradition, first shipping salted and iced fish by boat and later by railroad. The Placida public boat ramp, a Blueway Facility, provides access to Placida Harbor, Intracoastal Waterway, Lemon Bay, and the Gulf waters. Placida Park is a Blueway Trails facility located on the Boca Grande Causeway. Amenities include restrooms, boat trailer parking, boat ramps, dual fishing piers on the old railroad trestle, canoeing, and kayaking access.
31. Gasparilla State Recreation Area/Boca Grande Lighthouse/Boca Grande
Gasparilla Island is one in a chain of barrier islands extending along the Gulf coast of Florida. It is separated from the mainland by Charlotte Harbor and Pine Island Sound. It is believed the Calusa Indians were the first residents of the island, seeking fish, turtles and shellfish that inhabited the Charlotte Harbor and Gasparilla Sound estuaries. Commercial fishing has always been an important part of Gasparilla Island. Two picnic areas, with covered tables, are located in the park with scenic views of the surrounding water. Shelling, fishing and swimming are popular in the deep waters of Boca Grande Pass adjacent to the park. Boca Grande is designated as a Blueway Trail. The World’s Richest Tarpon Tournament is also held in Boca Grande Pass
An interesting feature of Gasparilla Island State Recreation Area is the NRHP-listed woodenlighthouse on the southern end of the island. The lighthouse was first placed into use in 1890, but was closed down in 1966. Today, it is a museum featuring exhibits on Native Americans, the fishing industry and the history of Boca Grande and the lighthouse itself. Current plans include adding a new visitor center in the lighthouse
The Boca Grande fishing piers offer anglers fishing opportunities on piers created from the historic old railroad beds that, in a bygone era, carried goods to and from Boca Grande.
32. Willis Fish Cabin at Bull Bay
Willis Fish Cabin at Bull Bay (in Placida) was added to the NRHP in 1991. This frame vernacular with metal roof structure sits on stilts in Bull Bay, a Blueway Trail. Used to house fishermen and process fish, this cabin and others like it, was portable and has been located in several places in the harbor.
33. Whidden’s Marina
The historic Whidden’s Marina, located on Boca Grande, was founded by Sam Whidden in 1926 and is still run by the Whidden family. It was originally a popular night spot, dance hall and restaurant, but now operates as a marina. Listed on the NRHP in 2000, Whidden's Marina houses the Gasparilla Maritime Museum, offering visitors a glimpse into the world of fishing and boating from the 1920s to the present. Boat rentals, live bait and transient docking are available.
34. Cayo Costa State Park
Cayo Costa State Park is a small barrier island that can be seen from Boca Grande Pass. This recreational, natural and scenic resource is accessible only by boat and contains 9 miles of pristine beaches and 5.5 miles of trails meandering through a variety of natural communitiessuitable for hiking and biking. Bike rentals, primitive cabins and tent camping are available on the island. The two-year waiting list for cabins attests to the popularity of this park. An amphitheater provides educational programs about the island's ecology and history. Visitors can use the boat dock, or anchor off the beach to enjoy the swimming, shelling or viewing the native wildlife, including manatees, dolphins and various species of birds.
35. Don Pedro Island State Park
Don Pedro Island was purchased by the state in 1984 under the “Save Our Coast Program.” This barrier island, accessible only by boat, covers approximately 225 acres with approximately 1 mile of white sandy beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. At this Blueway Trail, there are 12 dock slips for public use, picnic tables, grills, and a large picnic shelter with beach boardwalks and restroom facilities. In 2005, the state expanded the park facilities to include a 90-acre addition from the mainland of Englewood with the main entrance on Placida Road. With more than 32,000 people visiting by boat every year, the state gave permission in January 2006 to Grande Tours to provide ferry service to and from the state park for landlubbers. Water taxis are also available.
36. Amberjack Environmental Park
This recreational and natural resource is a 183-acre Charlotte County park preserve made up of rare and unique oak scrub, pine flatwoods, marshes, and other natural areas. When complete, it will have a trail system with informational kiosks, bird blinds at the lake and parking.
37. Buck Creek
Buck Creek is a minor tributary that flows into the Rotonda River. A weir at this connection keeps fresh water fish in the river from going into Lemon Bay. The creek is a recreational, scenic and natural resource used by boaters and fishermen.
38. Stump Pass State Park
At the south end of Manasota Key, Stump Pass State Park is a recreational, scenic and natural resource. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida. The 245-acre Blueway Facility and Trail consists of three islands and the protected channel between them. Visitors to Stump Pass find shelling, boating, swimming, water skiing, fishing, and incredible sunsets. The park offers restrooms and changing facilities, nature trails and picnic tables. At the tip of Stump Pass Beach is Stump Pass, the channel for boaters to enter into the Gulf waters
39. Lemon Bay
Lemon Bay, the smallest of the five Charlotte Harbor Aquatic Preserves, was designated as an aquatic preserve in 1986. Two Gulf passes and seven tributaries flow into the preserve, creating a diverse network of mangroves, marsh grass and vast expanses of seagrass meadows that cover most of the underwater habitats. More than 150 species of birds, 100 species of invertebrates and 200 species of fish reside in the bay. Visitors enjoy boating, water skiing, fishing, kayaking, birding, wading, and beachcombing.
40. Oyster Creek/Oyster Creek Environmental-Regional Park
Oyster Creek Environmental-Regional Park is a 272-acre park that includes an observation platform for viewing a wide variety of birds in their mangrove habitat and mature pine flatwoods. The park, a Blueway Trails facility, has canoe/kayaking, fishing, a nature preserve and walking trail, and picnic shelters. Oyster Creek Environmental-Regional Park also has a swimming pool, a cricket field, paw park, and football fields.
41. Cedar Point Environmental Park/Cookie House
The 115-acre Cedar Point Environmental Park is a nature preserve and environmental center making it easy to discover the natural wildlife of Southwest Florida through regular guided tours. This Blueway Facility offers fishing, kayaking, an environmental center, nature/walking trails, picnic shelter, playground, kayak launch, room rentals, and restrooms. Cedar Point Environmental Park hosts Eco Week each June. This week-long educational program teaches about the local plants, animal identification, local Native American history, water quality and conservation. This educational program goes hand-in-hand with the goals of the Lemon Bay/Myakka Trail.
The historic Cookie House at Cedar Point Park is the home of the first marine lab on the Florida mainland. Beginning in 1931, this structure housed the Bass Biological Laboratory and Zoological Research Supply Co. The company laid the groundwork for the Cape Haze Marine Laboratory which was established by the Vanderbilt family and Dr. Eugenie Clark in 1955 and located where Placida Harbour Condominiums are today. The lab moved to Sarasota in 1960, and eventually became Mote Marine. The “Cookie House” was moved to the park in 2006 from the nearby historic New Point Comfort area in Englewood. The “Cookie House” earned its moniker from the notable pine log cross sections embedded in its concrete walls – the only known house of its type in Florida.
42. Ainger Creek/Ainger Creek Park
Ainger Creek Park, a Blueway Facility, is a recreational, scenic and natural resource that provides public boat ramps with trailer parking. Maintained by Charlotte County, it has easy access to Lemon Bay and the Gulf waters. Canoeing, kayaking and boating are popular water sports at this location.
43. Lemon Bay Woman’s Club
The group was founded as "The Lemon Bay Mother's Club" in 1918 and eventually changed its name to "The Lemon Bay Woman's Club" in 1924. The clubhouse was built in 1925 on the corner of Cocoanut Street and Maple Street. This building is the first in Englewood to be named to the NRHP and is a fine example of prairie style construction. The Lemon Bay Woman's Club has been continuously used for the original purpose, "to promote civic, community and child welfare" in the Englewood area.
44. Historic Olde Englewood Village
In 1916, Peter Buchan, a long time Sarasota County Commissioner, purchased property at the end of Dearborn Street and built a two-story structure that housed a general store, a post office and his living quarters, thereby marking the beginnings of the Olde Englewood Village. A dock built into Lemon Bay was the new hub of business activity and it eventually spurred business owners to move to Dearborn Street. Several structures from that era still remain throughout the Englewood Town Center, including Peter Buchan’s original building at the end of Old Englewood Road, the Quimby-Jergens-Rinkard Boarding House on the corner of Old Englewood Road and Dearborn Street, and
Ziegler’s Hardware Store located on the west end of Dearborn Street. Today, the historic district is home to many Florida-style buildings, historic sites, art galleries, restaurants, and antique shops, as well as several cultural events (see Cultural Events F and G). The Olde Englewood Village Association Community Redevelopment Agency is a public agency that promotes improvements and redevelopment in the historic district. Sarasota County has designated Olde Englewood Village as a historic district.
45. Englewood Recreational Center
The Englewood Recreational Center, in the heart of Englewood, has picnic areas, basketball and tennis courts and a softball field. It is the home of the Community Policing Program.
46. Green Street Church Museum
A quaint white historic structure, the Green Street Church Museum is considered the “crown jewel” of Englewood's historic sites.the church was originally constructed on Magnolia Street in 1926 and was moved to its present location in 1962. In addition to its function as a museum, the restored church is still used for small weddings and local meetings. The church was designated as a local historic landmark in November 2005 and is in the application process for listing on the NRHP.
47. Indian Mound Park/Boat Ramp
Indian Mound Park is a historic site of the Calusa Indians, who once lived on the shores of Lemon Bay. The Indian mound has artifacts dating back to 400 B.C. The park has two public boat ramps and boat parking facilities, restroom facilities, covered shelters, picnic tables, hiking paths, and park benches where one can watch the sunset over Lemon Bay. This park is a Blueway Facility and is a recreational, scenic, archaeological, and historic resource.
48. Blind Pass Park/The Hermitage
Blind Pass Beach, or Middle Beach, as the locals call it, is in the middle of Manasota Key. The park is a Blueway Facility, complete with full changing and restroom facilities with showers and free parking.
The Hermitage was built by the Johanson family in 1907, making it the second-oldest structure on Manasota Key,as well as one of the few beachfront pioneer homesteads remaining in Florida today. In the 1940's, Dr. Albert Whitney added other structures to the property, including a cottage that is virtually hurricane-proof due to the construction techniques used. In 2002, the Hermitage-Whitney Historic District was listed on the NRHP. The district covers 35 acres and contains five buildings and three structures. In 2004, Sarasota County completed the restoration and the Hermitage is now leased by the Sarasota County Arts Council and used for an artists-in-residence program.
49. Lemon Bay Park
The Lemon Bay Park and Environmental Center is a recreational, scenic and natural resource overlooking beautiful Lemon Bay. It is home to nature displays, a butterfly garden, nature trails, meeting rooms, canoe launch, and picnic sites overlooking Lemon Bay. The park consists of approximately 195 acres and is both a land preserve and an aquatic preserve. The park also boasts bird watching and is home to bald eagles.
50. Buchan Airport/Kiwanis-Buchan Park
Buchan Airport is named after the noted Sarasota County Commissioner, Peter Buchan. Sarasota County owns and operates the airport, which is used predominately for recreational aviation. Its turf runway is intended for fixed-wing, single engine, light aircraft. There are no facilities on site; however, the airport does have plans for a designated visitor area/pilot planning area and a public restroom. Buchan Airport is in the process of becoming county-listed as a historic landmark.
The 29-acre Kiwanis-Buchan Park contains a nature trail, a multi-purpose field, play equipment, a pedestrian bridge and a recreation area with picnic tables and benches. Planned improvements at the park include restrooms, a large picnic shelter, playground, parking improvements, and the information of a non-profit organization to promote the creation of the future "Englewood Environmental Learning Center" to educate the public on the principles of sustainability, while promoting ecotourism and local environmentally-friendly businesses
The corridor possesses several bikeways, sidewalks and trails in Charlotte and Sarasota Counties. The bikeways and sidewalks, along with hiking trails, are not only found along the roadway, in fact, bikeways are also found within the area’s numerous parks and preserves detailed above. These resources offer visitors many opportunities to “get off the beaten path” and experience the peacefulness of nature. Additionally, several stores nearby provide equipment rentals for cyclists.